Spending quality time with your kids can be difficult, especially when they go back to school and you spend your day either working or rushing about doing the school run. You're also likely to come up against a battle for their attention against games consoles, Sky TV and the Internet.
Disney channel UKfamily.co.uk have come up with an idea of how you can spend more quality time with your child, whilst improving their confidence, develop their communication skills and encouraging a lifelong love of reading.
They've teamed up with your local library to launch the 5 Minutes More Challenge. The challenge is to find five minutes more in your day to sit down and do some extra reading with your child.
UKfamily.co.uk have recommended several ways you can take part in this challenge:
- Visit your local library and find out about children's reading groups
- Go along to a free storytelling session at your local Disney Store
- Make up stories together about their favourite TV characters
- Cover up every fifth word in a book with a Post-It note and get your child to guess what it might be
- Ask your child to pick his favourite book and create an imaginative new ending for it
This is a great activity for helping your child learn to read, as well as encouraging bonding between parent and child. The website also has a range of other activities you can do to encourage their reading. This includes voting for their favourite Disney story, entering exclusive competitions, and downloading personalised products and your child's very own mini-story.
Will you be taking up the challenge? Do you have any great tips for helping your child to read?
Related: How to get boys reading
Angela Griffin's Top 10 reading tips
Best books for confident readers
Top 10: Ways to get reluctant readers reading