An 11-year-old boy has had a 10cm-long wooden splinter removed from his eye, two years after he had an accident whilst playing with friends. The wooden splinter was removed by surgeons from Rahul Devi's eye in Delhi, India during a six-hour operation.
The boy was playing with friends when he landed upon the stick, which snapped when he stood up. His family rushed him to the hospital, but doctors claimed they couldn't remove it, and he was sent away.
The boy returned home and his family hoped that the stick would work its own way out of his eye. During this time, he lived a relatively normal life, playing with friends and going to school. However, when the pain became too much for the boy, he returned to the hospital. Doctors were shocked, and believe Rahul has spent most of the last two years just seconds from death, as the stick has pierced his brain, hitting all the major areas, Miraculously, the boy managed to survive this two-year period and the dangerous operation to remove it. Experts are also surprised that the situation didn't lead to an infection.
Sadly, Rahul is now blind in his left eye, but the outcome could easily have been much worse.
Source: Daily Mail