Xanthe Milton (who goes under the guise of Cookie Girl) says "these decadently decorated creations never fail to impress. Their vibrant clashing colours make them perfect for celebrations and the delicious spice spiked carrot cake that lies within is nothing short of delicious."
110 g/4 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp mixed spice
2 large eggs
170 g/6 oz dark muscovado sugar
100 ml/3½ fl oz sunflower oil
2 carrots, peeled and grated
55 g/2 oz walnuts, chopped
55 g/2 oz sultanas
For the icing
110 g/4 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
110 g/4 oz cream cheese
450 g/1 lb icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
food colouring paste – red, orange, pink or purple
gold and silver decorations
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/ 325°F/Gas 3. Line a 12-hole nonstick muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spices into a bowl and set aside. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until thick. Add the grated carrot, walnuts and sultanas and mix to combine, then gently stir in the flour mixture.
3. Divide the batter between the paper cases. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until the tops of the cakes are springy. Remove and place the cakes on a wire rack to cool while you prepare the icing.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and cream cheese. Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and mix until smooth and light. Divide the icing into three and colour each with a strong Indian colour.
5. Using a piping bag with a large star tip, start piping icing at the outside of each cake and work inwards to cover. Try piping a ring in one colour around the edge and a different colour on the inside for contrast. Finish by sprinkling on some gold and silver balls.
Eat Me! The Stupendous, Self-raising World of Cupcakes and Bakes According to Cookie Girl is published by Ebury and costs £15.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more