PARENTS

Girl Drowns In Holiday Park Swimming Pool

04/10/2010 12:22 | Updated 22 May 2015

An eight-year-old girl has drowned in a swimming pool accident whilst on holiday in Talacre caravan park in Flintshire, North Wales.

The little girl was removed unconscious from the pool after getting into difficulties whilst playing with other children, but tragically died shortly after at Glan Clwyd Hospital.

It is believed the youngster was on a caravanning weekend break with her family. Her parents were just metres from the swimming pool when the incident occurred on Saturday afternoon. The girl - whose name has not yet been released - was found unconscious in the water and given mouth-to-mouth resuscitation at the pool-side by lifeguards.

A holidaymaker at the park told reporters the indoor tropical swimming pool was 'safe' and 'shallow':

'My two children were swimming there yesterday afternoon - there are always plenty of lifeguards on duty. It is a safe and quite a shallow pool more for fun than swimming - everyone is feeling terribly sad for the family and some people have gone home early.'

The pool remained closed today, with a sign on display apologising for 'any inconvenience'. Talacre spokesman James McAllister, deputy managing director of the park said: 'At this time our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the little girl who tragically lost her life yesterday. We are doing everything we can to assist the authorities with their inquiries into this tragic accident. We are unable to comment further at this time, as you can imagine.'

A spokesman for North Wales Police issued a statement saying that they were 'continuing their inquiries following the tragic death of an eight-year-old girl at the Talacre park swimming pool in Flintshire on Saturday afternoon on October 2. The girl, from the West Midlands, who was on holiday with her family, was taken by ambulance to hospital where she was pronounced dead at 16.58.'

The force said the death was not being treated as suspicious, and that the Health and Safety Executive and the North Wales coroner had been informed.

What do you think of this story?

Do reports like this make you think twice about letting your child use fun pools?

Suggest a correction