A three-year-old boy was rushed to hospital after swallowing a nail his nursery gave him to play with.
Harrison Deus was given the nail at Butterflies Nursery in Runcorn, Cheshire. He was rushed to hospital after swallowing it. Medics told his mum, Jennie, that if it had passed to his chest it could have caused serious damage and necessitated surgery.
His outraged mum has now withdrawn him from the nursery. She told reporters: 'It is outrageous. If I gave Harrison a nail to play with I would be seen as the worst mum in the world.'
Nursery spokeswoman Lisa David said: 'We are deeply sorry that the incident occurred. We have withdrawn the toy from all of our nurseries to make sure such an incident never happens again.'
The nursery insists the nail was 'bought from a reputable company and listed as an age-appropriate toy.
Ofsted inspectors visited the nursery and ruled their risk assessment process was not specific enough to ensure children were kept safe.
Harrison made a full recovery after the nail passed through his system naturally.
What do you think?
Should more common sense prevail over what toys are a choking hazard in pre-school settings?
Or was this a simple mistake?
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more