A three-year-old boy has suffered horrific injuries after a Chinese lantern fell onto his face at a fireworks party.
Cael Jones's injuries, which may leave him permanently scarred, have triggered his mum Emma Foulkes to call for a ban on the novelty lanterns.
Cael's family set off around 20 of the lanterns at a party in Penycae, near Wrexham, so that the children could make a wish on each one.
But a burner full of molten wax fell from one of them as it floated around 40ft up, scorching Cael's face and right eye. 'The oil got stuck on his face and his face was black. Everyone was screaming. He couldn't open his eyes,' his mum said.
Relatives doused Cael with water and he was taken to hospital where he was given morphine for the pain.
Cael's eyes are not thought to be damaged, but doctors are to examine him again later this week to assess whether he will be permanently scarred.
'I want people to realise how dangerous they are,' said Emma.
Manufacturers say that Chinese lanterns should not be released by children, and warn people not to stand beneath them immediately after they are lit as melting wax may drip off.
Andy Robb, of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: 'These lanterns are popular but we are appealing to the public to be aware of the possible fire hazards and therefore the need to be careful when handling them.'
Have you ever been burnt by a Chinese lantern? Do you think they should be banned or simply treated with caution?
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more