Sometimes, after a long and busy day, ordering a pizza feels like the easiest thing to do to sort out dinner. Dial and dine, right? What if making your own pizza took less than the time for the delivery boy to turn up, and contained half the calories?
Making pizzas with your kids is a great activity to get them interested in eating and nutrition, and bringing out their creative side. The basic concept is simple, grab a pizza base and top it up with tomato sauce, cheese, and your choice of ingredients, and then pop in the oven. You could even use variants such as BBQ sauce or hoi sin sauce as a basis instead of tomato. For speed it's great to have a few pizza bases stored, but it's easy to make the dough too, and fun for the kids.
Here's a great recipe for pizza dough, and some suggestions for some yummy toppings:
What you'll need (enough for 2 large pizzas):
- 400g white bread flour
- 2 pinches of salt
- Small packet of dried yeast
- 250ml lukewarm water
- Virgin olive oil
- Splash of milk
- Add the flour, salt and yeast to a bowl and mix
- Add the lukewarm water to the mix, which activates the yeast
- This is the messy bit! Use your hands to bring the mixture together. As it begins to form, add a couple of drops of olive oil, and a splash of milk. This will aid the texture and taste of the dough.
- Knead the dough for several more minutes, adding flour if it appears to be too sticky.
- Depending on the type of base you want, you can either leave it to rise in the bowl for 2-3 hours, or use it straight away for a thinner base.
- Separate the dough into two sections and roll out into a circle shape. Place it in the over for 30 minutes at 200oC and you have a base ready to be topped!
- Once you've added your toppings, put back into the oven until the cheese is bubbling.
This is an easy one to start with, simple add tomato sauce, cheese, and then top with ham and pineapple. That's one of your five a day!
Duck and pancakes pizza
This one is delicious and a bit different from the usual pizzas! Spread hoi sin sauce across the base of the pizza, and then add duck, cucumber, and shredded pancakes.
Smiley Face Pizza
This one doesn't really have any specific ingredients, all you need to do is challenge your kids to make the best smiley face pizza, based on what you have in the fridge and cupboards.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more