Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides hit Cannes on Saturday with a screening, press conference and red carpet gala. Which means top of the to-do list was getting close to the lovely and eccentric Johnny Depp. Find out how I got on in MyDaily moments from Cannes Film Festival day four...
1. Dragging myself out of bed after the night before was tricky, but with Mr Depp calling my name it made it just that little bit easier. Unfortunately he hadn't agreed to a date on the beach, but he was going to be at a press conference. There I was waiting in line for a glimpse of Johnny and his wacky dress sense when he walked straight past me, holey hat and all. As soon as the press barriers were let down about 100 female journalists and I rushed to get a front row seat. Even more beautiful in the flesh, Johnny proceeded to tell us the "qualities to make a good pirate are ignorance and persistence", but we're sure good looks have something to do with it.
2. I went to a cocktail reception for a European cinema distributor out on a jetty surrounded by yachts and incredibly rich looking people. Just as I was about to make my way to the bar and pickup a mojito the heavens opened and I was caught in the heaviest downpour I've ever experienced. Hiding under an inefficient sun umbrella it was great fun watching all the men in expensive suits faff around not sure what to do with themselves. Evidently rain isn't a common occurrence in Cannes.
3. Next I headed to the Ritz Carlton for an interview with someone who'd been on the red carpet the night before. I ordered a Diet Coke at the bar and was stunned when a bill for €10 was handed to me. I knew it was going to be a bit more expensive than usual, but seriously €10?! I made sure it was the best Diet Coke of my life.
4. While sipping, very slowly, on the Coke I realised sitting on the next table along was Ezra Miller. Miller stars as Kevin in Lynne Ramsay's We Need To Talk About Kevin. He has the most distinctive mesmerising face and if you haven't heard of him yet you soon will when the film is released in the UK. He's also been named as one of the faces of the future by Nylon Magazine's Young Hollywood Issue.
5. Just as I'd finished gawping at one mesmerising Hollywood profile Uma Thurman sashayed into the bar wearing a long white, strapless, Grecian dress and sandals. She had a quick scan of the room with her big blue cat eyes and after not finding what/who she was looking for sashayed back out.