Rebekah Brooks has been released on bail, the Metropolitan Police confirmed early on Monday.
The former News International chief executive went to a London police station by appointment on Sunday at noon, and was arrested on suspicion of corruption and phone hacking.
She was released on police bail early today. So far it is not clear whether she will give evidence to the Culture Commitee of the House of Commons on Tuesday. Yesterday there was mounting speculation that she would not be able to appear before MPs, or that even if she did, would not be able to give any meaningful evidence because of her bail conditions.
Brooks is the 10th person to be arrested in connection to the new investigation into allegations of phone hacking at the News of the World.
In a statement, police said: "The MPS has this afternoon, Sunday 17 July, arrested a female in connection with allegations of corruption and phone hacking.
"At approximately 12.00hrs a 43-year-old woman was arrested by appointment at a London police station by officers from Operation Weeting together with officers from Operation Elveden and is currently in custody.
"She was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications, contrary to Section1(1) Criminal Law Act 1977 and on suspicion of corruption allegations contrary to Section 1 of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906.
Media lawyer Mark Stephens said police were trying to get a grip on the scandal. He told Sky News: “I think the police are trying to move pretty quickly… One of those areas of concern is the suggestion that officers at all levels may have been the subject of receiving money as Rebekah Brooks told parliament when she last appeared before them.”
Rebekah Brooks released a statement saying she was assisting police with her inquiries, and this was a pre-arranged appointment.