Riots - England v Holland Match Cancelled
The Football Association has called off England's friendly against Holland at Wembley on Wednesday night following three days of rioting in London.
The FA had been in discussions with the Metropolitan Police, the Government and the Dutch FA since Tuesday morning. David Cameron announced that 16,000 police officers will be on duty in London, including many drafted in from outside the capital, meaning that there would not be the necessary manpower to police an international football game.
FA Chairman David Bernstein told a news conference that tickets would be refunded in full and details would appear on the FA wesbite shortly.
In a statement the England team said: "We are disappointed that tomorrow's game has been called off, but we understand the reasons behind this decision."
Club England's Managing Director, Adrian Bevington, tweeted his disappointment with the cancellation, but said that there had been good communication between the police and the FA and that it was a "sensible decision". Gareth Southgate, the FA's head of elite development, tweeted: "Right decision. Enough pressure on police force."
A spokesman for the Dutch football federation called the decision a "shame", whilst the chief executive of the Dutch FA, Bert van Oostveen, expressed his concern about the commercial implications of the cancellation. Oostveen said “The [commercial] damage runs into millions. I’m hoping for an elegant solution with the English FA.”
England's star players have also been airing their views on twitter. England defender Rio Ferdinand described the violence as "madness" and called the decision a "good call", asking "Who wants to see a game of football when our country is in turmoil." England striker Wayne Rooney called the riots "embarrassing for our country" and called on rioters to "stop please".
"These riots are nuts why would people do this to there (sic) own country. Own city," Rooney wrote on Twitter.
Other sporting events across the capital have also been affected by the ongoing disturbances. West Ham, Charlton Athletic and Crystal Palace have all postponed Carling Cup ties which were due to take place at their home grounds. Some sporting events outside of London have also been called off due to rioting, such as Bristol City's match against Swindon Town.
However, England Cricket officials confirmed that the third Test against India would continue at Edgbaston despite rioting in Birmingham on Monday night. Steve Elworthy, the Head of Communications for the England and Wales Cricket Board said "It is business as usual and we are preparing to be ready to go tomorrow,"
"We are communicating with police but the usual protocols are in place."