Egypt Protests: Tahrir Square Violence Continues As Elections In Doubt
The Egyptian cabinet has submitted their resignation following violent protests against the military junta in Egypt where 35 people were confirmed dead following clashes with police over the weekend in Cairo.
State television reported the cabinet will continue to run the country until the ruling military council responds to their submission for resignation.
Thousands of demonstrators have occupied Tahrir Square, the symbolic epicentre of a series of protests in February which ended with the removal of President Hosni Mubarak.
The protesters are calling for the removal of the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (Scaf), which has been in power since Mubarak left office.
At least 22 people have now been killed in in clashes between police and protesters, state media reported, while the country's Health Ministry said another 1,750 people had been wounded.
It was not immediately specified whether the numbers of injured included policemen and soldiers.
The security forces launched a major assault on the square on Sunday in an attempt to clear the protests, but according to the BBC the protesters returned "within an hour".
Protesters threw stones and petrol bombs, it was reported, and said they would 'fight to the death' for the removal of the military government, while the police and security forces fired tear gas and rubber bullets in response.
Fears are now growing that the protests will affect next week's planned parliamentary elections. Several candidates and parties said said they will suspend their campaigns, raising fears that the polls could be scrapped.
One opposition figurehead, Mohamed ElBaradei, said the country was "falling apart".
"I think what we've seen today is an excessive use of force, bordering on a slaughterhouse, against innocent civilians exercising their inalienable right to demonstrate," ElBaradei told the Guardian.
ElBaradei said: "It's yet another indication that Scaf and the current government are failing to govern and I fully sympathise with the increasing calls coming from different quarters, including Tahrir, for a new government of national salvation that represents all shades of Egyptian society, one with full power.
"I will do anything to save the country from falling apart and what we are seeing right now is the country going down. People are calling on me to present this government, and I will do whatever it takes to save our country from falling apart."
However the authorities insisted that the elections, which are due to begin on 28 November and last for several weeks, will not be delayed.
In a statement the cabinet welcomed what it called the "restraint" of the security forces.