A man has been banned from having a dog for three years after his six-month-old Labrador puppy got drunk on vodka and coke.
Matthew Cox, 26, had been at home drinking with his flatmate on August 22 when he put his drink down on the floor and went outside to smoke.
When he came back in he realised his black puppy, Max, had swallowed the contents of the glass, which was made up of one quarter vodka and three quarters coke.
Nottingham Magistrates' Court heard that Cox did not deal with Max that night, even though the puppy was swaying, because he was himself too drunk.
He left him with his flatmate before going out to DJ.
Prosecutor Maria Moore told the court two girls saw Max that evening falling over and staggering about near shops close to Cox's home at Rathvale Court in Chilwell, Nottingham, and called the police.
Max was found at Cox's home with his flatmate around 8pm and was removed by officers because they were so worried about his health.
Mrs Moore said: "Due to the state of the dog the police officer, being an animal lover himself, took the dog to the emergency vet."
She said that Max, who Cox had owned for around three and a half months, was immediately put on an intravenous drip for eight to 10 hours to flush the alcohol out of his system.
He needed another 12 hours on a drip the next day to restore him back to full health.
The court heard that a vet said he would have suffered for around 12 hours after drinking the alcohol, mainly because he would have had trouble dealing with and understanding his surroundings when in such an inebriated state.
Max has since been given a clean bill of health and has been found a new home by the RSPCA.
Cox, who appeared in court wearing blue Bermuda shorts, trainers and a black t-shirt, was arrested on August 23.
In court today he pleaded guilty to failing to ensure an animal's welfare, namely failing to prevent an animal from consuming alcohol, and was disqualified from keeping or owning a dog for three years and given a two year conditional discharge.
Cox is currently serving a prison sentence for another offence which was not specified in court and is due for release later this month.
Magistrate Mrs J A Smith said: "It was not malicious - there were no weapons - it was just downright stupid, wasn't it?
"Especially with any dog that has Labrador blood in it. They are fervently hungry for food and drink.
"This could have had desperate consequences for him - a motor accident or anything.
"I do hope that when you do have a dog again you make jolly sure that your drinks are not in reach."
Speaking after the hearing, RSPCA inspector Chris Shaw said Max's case was the first of alcohol poisoning that he had seen.
He added: "I'm happy with the outcome of the hearing.
"It's such a shame what's happened to the dog but he's been found a good home now and the owner has been punished."
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more