Implants Scandal: Lansley Says The Care Quality Commission Will Conduct A Review Of Private Clinics
Andrew Lansley has ordered health regulator the Care Quality Commission to conduct a "swift review" of private clinics following the PIP Implants scandal.
The heath secretary explained they will look at whether clinics meet "essential levels of safety and quality" in term of support and information given to patients.
The government recommended last week the estimated 40,000 British women who have breast implants manufactured by French company Poly Implant Prostheses did not need to have them removed, despite the higher rupture rate.
NHS medical director Professor Sir Bruce Keogh is also to examine arrangements for ensuring the safety of people seeking cosmetic interventions such as breast implants and dermal fillers.
Additionally health minister Lord Howe will conduct an "urgent review" into what happened in the UK.
On Wednesday Lansley urged private providers to "step-up" and help women, however he has confirmed that any woman who is denied help by a private clinic will be able to have her implants removed on the NHS.
The health secretary told MPs NHS will "be there to support any women" whose implants have raptured.
However he said this would cover "removal", not "replacement."
Shadow health secretary Andy Burnham welcomed the review and the support the government were giving to women, but criticised their "mixed messages" on the safety of PIP implants over the Christmas period.