A builder was left pinned to the ground for nearly four hours after accidentally firing a five-inch nail through his left hand.
Alan Williams had been doing some DIY in his home in Market Drayton, Shropshire, when he slipped at the top of the stairs and nailed himself to the ground.
The 46-year-old was unable to move or get help after the slip-up early on Saturday evening.
Staff nurse Suzanne dialled 999 for help and fire crews were called in to help lift the entire floorboard so Alan could be taken to hospital.
Alan was eventually taken to hospital in Newcastle-Under-Lyme, where doctors delivered the good news the nail had missed vital tendons and veins.
The nail was extracted during surgery and Alan is set to regain full use of his hand, although it is unclear whether he intends to resume his DIY project.
Alan told the Daily Mail: "I was pinned to the floor, I couldn't move, but actually there wasn't much blood and I wasn't in pain.
"After three hours though my leg was starting to go numb and I was very cold. I was grateful when Suzanne walked through the door."