US Staff Sergeant Robert Bales is to be charged with 17 counts of murder in the Afghan massacre, a US official said.
The soldier is accused of attacking Kandahar villagers in their homes and faces the death penalty if convicted.
Despite Afghan insistence, Bales is currently the only suspect. He will have a full list of charges read to him later on Friday, at the military Fort Leavenworth Prison in Kansas.
Bales' lawyer claims his client remembers "very little" of the mass killing spree.
According to John Henry Brown, the "decorated soldier" was unhappy about embarking on a fourth tour of duty and had previously recieved brain injuries while serving in Iraq.
Brown insisted there was no forensic evidence to prove the guilt of his client.
On Friday, a Taliban spokesperson told Reuters news agency the group did not trust the trial and would "certainly take revenge" on American forces in Afghanistan.
At the time of the massacre, Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai described the attacks as "impossible to forgive", saying in a statement on Sunday:
The shootings followed an "unintentional incident" in February when US soldiers burned copies of the Qur'an holy book, which resulted in an Afghan soldier shooting dead two American militaries.
WARNING: Gallery contains some graphic images