A woman was badly burned when petrol ignited as she transferred it between containers in her kitchen, a fire service said today.
The woman, named locally as Dianne Hill, was decanting fuel from one container to another in the house in York when it ignited and set fire to her clothing, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said.
She was taken to hospital with 40% burns to her body.
Two firefighters put out the fire and removed the remaining petrol. A fire service spokesman today warned people about storing petrol in their homes.
Peter Hudson, of North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Members of the public should take extreme care when handling and storing petrol and be aware of the risks associated with incorrect use and storage of fuel.
"In domestic situations fuel containers must not be stored in living accommodation such as kitchens, living rooms and bedrooms or under staircases.
"Any storage place should be well away from living areas and be secured to protect against the possibility of vandalism or arson."
He continued: "Never bring petrol inside your home. If you do smell petrol fumes in a garage or outbuilding ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion."
The woman was in her 40s and lived in the Acomb area of York, according to Mr Hudson.
The fuel she was decanting ignited as she was using the cooker at the time, he said.
She was attempting to transfer the petrol from one container to another using a jug.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more