Huffpost UK Sport uk

Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix Will Go Ahead, But Should It? (POLL)

Posted: Updated:
BAHRAIN GP
The Bahrain GP was cancelled last year | PA

FIA have given the green light for Bahrain to stage next weekend's Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Speculation has been rife all week that the Gulf state event would be cancelled, as civil unrest continues since protests in February 2011.

On Wednesday several F1 teams felt they expected the April 22 race to be cancelled amid security concerns, but the racing competition's governing body has clarified it will be staged.

A FIA statement read: "Based on the current information the FIA has at this stage, it is satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place for the running of a Formula One World Championship event in Bahrain. Therefore, the FIA confirms that the 2012 Gulf Air F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain will go ahead as scheduled."

Last year the race was cancelled with the backing of Bahrain authorities, however they have not displayed as much keenness on this occasion.

Red Bull's Mark Webber was the only driver who voiced his support for scrapping the 2011 race, but this year revealed his eagerness to participate in the fourth GP of the season.

"If we had a choice would we go? I want to race," the Aussie said.

Quick Poll

Should the Bahrain GP go ahead?

VOTE

"That is what I would like to go there and do."

The decision, as a statement released from the Formula One Teams Association stressed earlier this week, was always down to the FIA to cancel the event.

Unrest during the 2011 Arab Spring last year led to the GP's cancellation, and violence between protesters and security forces erupted again on Bahrain's streets earlier this year.

Bahrain's majority Shia population has continually demanded democratic reforms from the nation's Sunni rulers, while the government are attempting to quell the protesting.

Mounting pressure from protesters to cancel the race stems from its association with the ruling royal family, who are under pressure to improve human rights and make reforms by the majority Shia population.

Only last week the Bahrain race organisers suggested that holding the GP could unite the country and F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone remained committed to staging the Sakhir race.

He did however hint the race's contract may not be renewed due to a second successive disruption.

Around the Web

Bahrain Grand Prix will go on despite political instability

Webber breaks silence, says Bahrain GP an issue

FIA: F1 Bahrain GP to go ahead

Bahrain Formula One GP cleared despite safety fears

Human Rights Watch warns Formula 1 over Bahrain Grand Prix