Injured Paratroopers Embark On Gruelling Fund-Raising Desert Trek

Posted: 17/04/2012 19:32 Updated: 17/04/2012 19:32   PA

Paras
The groups expects a 'tough' challenge

Four injured soldiers have been making final preparations for a fund-raising trek that will see them take on gruelling challenges in the Moroccan desert.

The servicemen, two of whom have lost a leg below the knee, were wounded in Afghanistan last year.

But they hope to overcome their injuries on the 14-day expedition which includes a 10-mile march, mine clearing exercises and a tough hike through sand dunes.

Injured paratroopers Sergeant Allan Jackson and Privates Callum Urquhart, Mark Vidler and Patrick Burns hope to raise £40,000 for The Parachute Regiment's Afghanistan Trust which supports servicemen and their families.

Captain Matt Clamp, 29, of 3rd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment, said the men expected a "tough" ride.

"When we get down to the sand dunes, that will be hard for the soldiers because they have all got lower limb injuries," he added.

"It will be a challenge for all those taking part."

Capt Clamp, from Barnsley in south Yorkshire, will accompany the team.

"I'm really looking forward to it," he added, "but I think it'll be quite tough."

The group will set off at 4am on Wednesday and expects to arrive back in Britain on 1 May.

They will use specially adapted Nissan Navaras for the North African mission which forms part of the car giant's commitment to raise £250,000 for the Afghanistan Trust.

Colin Smith, the trust's CEO, said those taking part were "some of The Parachute Regiment's most talented and dedicated servicemen".

"Despite suffering injuries themselves, these men's courage and selfless determination to help others in need and their families is inspiring," he added.

A number of Nissan employees will be joining their trip.

FOLLOW UK

Filed by David Hobbs  |