Ched Evans' Sheffield United Team-Mate Connor Brown Suspended After Twitter Outburst Over Rape Trial

Posted: Updated:
Ched Evans has been imprisoned for five years | PA

Sheffield United have suspended a team-mate of imprisoned striker Ched Evans with immediate effect after a Twitter outburst.

Evans was jailed for five years on Friday after being convicted of raping a 19-year-old woman, and after the trial defender Connor Brown took to the social networking site to insult the victim.

Brown branded the law "a load of f*****g s**t", and afterwards drew his ire onto the 19-year-old victim: "If ur a slag ur a slag don’t try get money from being a slag [sic]... Stupid girls... I feel sick."

Look out for the Ad just below here

Article continues after the advertisement

He also referred to her as a "Money grabbing little tramp."

Brown, 19, deleted the posts but several Twitter users and media websites took screen grabs of his tweets.

In a statement on the Blades' website, the club said: "There will be no further comment from the club during the process of the investigation which it hopes to conclude swiftly."

Legal experts have also expressed concern over the alleged naming of Evans's victim by other users. Sky News accidentally tweeted the woman's identity, and North Wales Police are now investigating reports of naming her identity on the site.

Det Ch Insp Steve Williams said people voicing their opinion on the outcome of the case must "appreciate that they may be condoning such behaviour and contributing to the continued trauma upon this young woman".

Evans admitted having sex with the victim at a hotel in north Wales last May.

The woman said she had no memory of the incident and the prosecution successfully argued she was too drunk to consent to intercourse.

Around the Web

Sheffield United suspends Brown

Ched Evans: Sheffield United Twitter probe into Connor Brown rape case comments

The legal perils of Twitter

Man wanted for attempted murder arrested after driving wrong way on Bedford Street

Several Tigers requalify for state