NEWS

Rupert Murdoch Due To Give Second Day Of Evidence At Leveson Inquiry

26/04/2012 09:57 | Updated 26 April 2012

Rupert Murdoch is set to continue his evidence to the Leveson Inquiry on Thursday morning, answering questions about allegations of phone hacking at his newspapers in Britain.

On Wednesday the 81-year-old News Corp chief executive denied asking for any personal favours from politicians or using his newspapers to promote his commercial interests.

Murdoch at Leveson: The 10 best quotes so far

1. On the BBC: "Prime ministers all hated the BBC and all gave it everything it wanted."
  2. On The Sun's support for the Conservatives: "I could have been like the Telegraph. I could even have texted them every day".
  3. On being questioned: "Let's get him to get this f**king thing over with today".
  4. To Tony Blair: "If our flirtation is ever consummated Tony, I suspect we will end up making love like porcupines, very very carefully."
  5. On politics: "I don't know many politicians."
  6. On The Sun: "We are perhaps the only independent newspaper in the business."
  7. On Business: "I take a particularly strong pride in the fact we've never pushed our commercial interests in our newspapers"
  8. On Gordon Brown: "I did not think he was in a very balanced state of mind."
  9. On unions: "I didn't have the will to crush the unions. I might have had the desire, but that took several years"
  10. On favours: "I've never asked a Prime Minister for anything"

26/04/2012 13:18 BST

It's over

Murdoch's evidence to Leveson has finished. But they'll be more written evidence to delve through online soon.

26/04/2012 13:11 BST

Murdoch is told about a journalists who claimed she experienced "constant bullying." He asks why she did not resign.

Leveson interjects, saying: "I think the problem with that might be that she needs a job".

Murdoch says he has "never heard of" allegations of bullying in News International. "They always strike me as a happy crowd."

26/04/2012 13:09 BST

Murdoch says no allegations of bullying have been brought to his attention.

26/04/2012 13:09 BST

@ paulwaugh :

Leveson refuses to allow NUJ lawyer to ask Qs re NI's MSC collusion w cops. But Murdoch says MSC didn't reveal journo sources

26/04/2012 13:08 BST

NUJ lawyer asking Murdoch about allegations of editors bullying

Murdoch says his journalists can join the NUJ at any point.

26/04/2012 13:02 BST

@ rowenamason :

Some of my channels are better than the BBC, some a lot worse, says Murdoch #Leveson

26/04/2012 13:00 BST

A lawyer for Associated Newspapers stands up - tells Murdoch he has made a mistake

He says Murdoch's accusation about Dacre: "I'm going to suggest you've made a mistake in reading something."

But Murdoch said he did not "see the difference," adding: "I think there's no doubt that maybe the Daily Mail and other newspapers were campaigning against it and against us.. That is a commercial reason. They said at the time in their public statement they felt in some commercial danger, if you like, if we succeeded."

26/04/2012 12:54 BST

@ Peston :

"I've spent hundreds of millions of dollars" on internal investigation, says Murdoch. Really? Can it really be that much. #leveson

26/04/2012 12:54 BST

@ mlcalderone :

Murdoch claims Huffington Post has just "a few" reporters -- he should come by the newsroom some time! #leveson

26/04/2012 12:47 BST

Quite hilariously, Murdoch says his paper the Wall Street Journal is a "challenge to get through." Unsure if he meant it like that. He says they are adding more pictures to it.

See below for the best tweets from Murdoch's appearance yesterday

Rupert Murdoch At Leveson: Twitter Funnies
Comments

CONVERSATIONS