Police have discovered two bombs following separate security alerts in Northern Ireland.
The explosives were described as "viable devices" and were found in Belfast and near the Irish border.
Police said the dissident republicans suspected of being behind at least one of the bombs had shown a "callous disregard" for the public.
This comes after police investigating the activity of dissidents opposed to the peace process found guns and ammunition in a separate search operation in Belfast yesterday.
The first bomb alert began in the Fathom Line area of the border town of Newry after an abandoned car was found on Thursday evening.
Police confirmed overnight that a "viable explosive device" was found in the vehicle.
It was made safe by army bomb experts.
Police also said a viable device was found under a parked car in the Ballygomartin Road area of north Belfast.
Chief Inspector Ian Campbell said several homes had to be evacuated while the security operation was carried out late last night.
He said: "Those responsible for this have shown callous disregard for members of the public.
"The operation resulted in the evacuation of up to 80 people, including families with young children and elderly residents, for several hours."
He added: "The finger of suspicion points towards dissident republican terrorists and I appeal to anyone with information to come forward to police."
Meanwhile, in the aftermath of last night's weapons find, Chief Superintendent George Clarke, District Commander for North and West Belfast, said the police had succeeded in combating activity by the dissident groups.
"The actions of police have undoubtedly thwarted the attempts of criminals to inflict death, injury and misery on the community of north Belfast," he said.
"Police are determined to protect communities from these threats."
Police said a number of weapons had been seized, but no further details were available on the arms find.
Clarke appealed for the public's continuing assistance in combating dissident activities.