PARENTS

Parents Warned Of Choking Danger Of Trendy Teething Necklaces

03/05/2012 14:08 | Updated 22 May 2015
Mums warned of choking danger of trendy teething necklacesGetty/file photo

An alert has gone out to parents warning them that fashionable teething necklaces and bracelets could choke their babies.

The fears are specifically aimed at items made from amber stones, which are widely available on internet giants Amazon and eBay, as well as smaller online retailers.

Mothers have complained that some have snapped, allowing the stones to spill free and causing a choking hazard.

Others say there is even a danger of babies strangling themselves with the necklaces, which are targeted at children under 36 months and sell for between £6.95 for a bracelet and £26.95 for a necklace.

Now trading standards officers have issued warnings about necklaces and some have been withdrawn from the market, though they are still widely available on line and at open-air markets.

Sarah Ridley, Trading Standards officer at Nottinghamshire County Council said: "Although the necklaces are designed to be worn, not chewed, there is a serious risk involved in giving any product with small parts to small children.

i

Should the beads or clasps become detached, the parts are a choking hazard and the necklace as a whole presents a risk of strangulation.

i

Many of the necklaces are believed to be made in eastern Europe, where manufacturing controls are not as strict as the UK. Some mothers have complained in the reviews section of Amazon, with one saying her six-month old son snapped a bracelet while she was changing him.

Another, whose baby had snapped a bracelet said: "I do not recommend this product."

And one mother warned: "Bought the anklet as I thought it would be safer but its not, please be careful when wearing this on your baby."

The danger alert has also been issued by Bournemouth's Trading Standards which is warning parents about buying amber teething necklaces for their young children.

David Morton, Senior Trading Standards Officer, said: "These particular necklaces have been withdrawn from the market in a number of European countries as a result of the safety issues.

"However, we know that they are still being produced in countries such as Lithuania and being sold via the internet through a number of well known and established websites.

"I would urge local residents to not purchase these necklaces and put a child's safety at risk. We have examined these products and due to small parts they pose a potential choking hazard for small children. In addition, cords around the neck can catch on fixed objects." More on Parentdish: Teething

Suggest a correction