Roberto Martinez Flies To Miami To Meet Liverpool Owners, Says Wigan Athletic Owner Dave Whelan

Posted: Updated:
Print Article
WHELAN
Whelan hired Martinez in 2009 | PA

Wigan Athletic owner Dave Whelan has revealed Roberto Martinez has flown to Miami to meet Liverpool's American owners.

The Reds were granted permission to speak with the Spaniard on Friday over the club's vacant managerial role, after Kenny Dalglish was sacked by owners Fenway Sports Group following a dismal Premier League campaign.

Reports suggested Martinez could meet with FSG in the next 36 hours, but Whelan confirmed he had travelled stateside to begin discussions with the Boston-based figures.

But Whelan also told ESPN he was convinced that should the 38-year-old move to L4, he would be restricted as a manager.

"My information is that the new Liverpool manager will not be given full responsibility of the football department.

"There will be somebody else signing players, and they might not necessarily be the choice of the manager.

"My advice to Roberto is to think very carefully about this, but Liverpool are a big club and I hope that they remain one of the big clubs.

"But I have to say from what I am hearing the new Liverpool set up on the football side goes well beyond the norm even with a director of football."

Martinez rejected the chance to succeed Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa last year and inked a new deal with the Latics instead.

Liverpool have been rejected by both Brendan Rodgers and Frank de Boer, as they whittle down a long list of candidates which included Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp and Andre Villas-Boas, amongst others.

Around the Web

Whelan: L'pool boss won't sign players

Liverpool ponder Andre Villas-Boas and Louis Van Gaal combination for the future

Van Gaal wants Reds manager's job

Why Liverpool should bring Benitez back

Liverpool's Kuyt flattered by Hamburg interest