Don't look bored, smudge his handkerchief with lipstick, talk to other men, cry or caress him in public.
Got all that? Welcome to the world of dating, 1938 style.
This twee series of sepia photographs demonstrating 12 golden dating rules on how to snare a man, hit the shelves during the Great Depression.
As well as an era of economic and emotional restraint, it was an age of elegance where the ideal woman was epitomised by the likes of Katherine Hepburn and Greta Garbo, actresses known for their poise in the company of the opposite sex.
Scroll down for your 1938 picture guide to dating
Drinking or chewing gum was out of the question, as was uttering a sound while cutting a rug, for, as the guide solemnly states: "When a man dances he wants to dance."
It primly adds: "A man expects you to keep your dignity all evening."
It's a snapshot of a life a world away from today where prison inmates can date online, married couples are just a mouse-click away from a discrete rendez-vous between the sheets and students are on the hunt for sugar daddies to fund their studies.
The question is, would you like to go back to it?
We're unsure of the original source of the images, but thanks to Sad And Useless for flagging this charming guide up.
1. Do your dressing in your boudoir to keep your allure. Be ready to go when date arrives; don't keep him waiting. Greet him with a smile!
2. Men don't like girls who borrow their handkerchief and smudge them with lipstick. Makeup in privacy, not where he sees you
3. Don't sit in awkward positions- and never look bored, even if you are. Be alert, and if you must chew gum (not advise), do it silently, mouth closed
4. Careless women never appeal to gentlemen. Don't talk while dancing, for when a man dances he wants to dance
5. Don't use the car mirror to fix your make-up. Man needs it in driving, and it annoys him very much to have to turn around to see what's behind him
6. Don't be familiar with your escort by caressing him in public. Any open show of affection is in bad taste, usually embarrasses or humiliates him
7. Don't be senitmental or try to get him to say something he doesn't want to by working on his emotions. Men don't like tears, especially in public places
8. Don't be familiar with the headwaiter talking about the fun you had with someone else another time. Men deserve, desire your entire attention
9. Don't talk about clothes or try to describe your new gown to a man. Please and flatter your date by talking about the things he wants to talk about
10. Don't drink too much, as a man expects you to keep your dignity all evening. Drinking may make some girls seem clever, but most get silly
11. Don't be conspicuous talking to other men.
12. The last straw is to pass out from too much liquor. Chances are your date will never call you again!