A seven-year-old schoolgirl started hallucinating and "talking to walls" when she overdosed on travel pills after a teacher handed her the whole packet, it has been reported.
Chelsie Toms, from Plymouth, was returning from a school trip to the beach when she ate seven pills after thinking they were sweets. Her mother Wendy had handed the packet to a member of staff for safekeeping, telling the teacher Chelsie was to have half a pill on the way to the beach, and another half on the way back.
But when she arrived to collect her daughter, who regularly suffers from travel sickness, she found her "incoherent" and confused.
"She was hallucinating, talking to the walls. She didn't know who I was and then she was sick in her hands," Wendy told local paper the Plymouth Herald.
Chelsie was admitted to hospital where doctors carried out numerous tests and scans and was kept in overnight.
It later emerged the teacher in question had administered the medication correctly but then put the rest of the pills into Chelsie's schoolbag.
Sandie Roberts, headteacher at the Mount Street Primary School, said the incident had fully been investigated and the school had enforced more "robust" procedures concerning non-prescription medicines since.
According to the Herald, Chelsie has been temporarily removed from the school by her mother and is now receiving counselling after the girl was left scared of her own toys and unable to sleep without a torch.
A police investigation has now been launched into the incident and Plymouth police have confirmed the Child Protection Service will be looking into the case.