The father of one of three men killed during last summer's riots today said lawyers had been instructed to review a criminal trial which saw eight men cleared of murder - leaving the victims' families in "utter shock and despair".
Haroon Jahan and brothers Shazad Ali and Abdul Musavir died after being hit by a Mazda car as they tried to protect shops in Winson Green, Birmingham, from looters last August.
Eight men were accused of murdering the three friends in a "modern day chariot charge" but were acquitted by a jury last Thursday, following a lengthy trial at Birmingham Crown Court.
Haroon's father Tariq Jahan, who made an emotional plea for calm just hours after the deaths, said today: "The community did not let us down. The law however, has."
He added: "Our sense of disappointment and regret over this verdict cannot be stated in words."
Addressing a press conference at a Winson Green community centre, Mr Jahan spoke of his disappointment that no-one had been held responsible the deaths.
He said: "To our utter shock and despair, on Thursday 19 July, the jury acquitted all eight men. This is no answer for us.
"It simply means that no one has been held accountable for what happened.
"Whilst the accused celebrated and showered themselves in champagne, we bathed in tears of pain and sorrow.
"Our grieving continues."
Mr Jahan added: "We are no longer able to trust the criminal justice system to provide the answers we so desperately need.
"We have therefore instructed lawyers to review the criminal trial and the events that led to the death of our sons.
"We will not rest until the people responsible for the deaths of Haroon, Shazad and Musavir have been brought to justice and we are able to get the answers we need to be able to grieve in peace.
"We will not let our sons down."
Sharon Rowe, Assistant Chief Constable of West Midlands Police, said: "We do not under-estimate the impact that the deaths of Haroon Jahan, Shazad Ali and Abdul Musavir had on their families, friends and the wider community of Birmingham, and indeed nationally.
"Earlier this week, Chief Constable Chris Sims met with Harry Ireland, Chief Crown Prosecutor of the Crown Prosecution Service, to discuss what further steps could be taken following the end of the trial.
"This afternoon, the Chief Constable and Chief Crown Prosecutor will meet with family members to discuss the trial, their concerns, community relations and a way forward.
"The Chief Constable and I met with councillors last night to discuss the outcome of the trial and how the police and council can work together to build better community relations.
"Neighbourhood officers are continuing to work closely with members of the community and listen to any concerns they may wish to raise.
"I, alongside local officers, continue to meet with members of the community who are working hard to maintain calm and strengthen relationships."
The Crown alleged the men were deliberately mown down by the Mazda, which was working in conjunction with two other cars, but a jury, which heard 12 weeks of evidence, took just four hours to unanimously acquit the eight defendants.
Ryan Goodwin, 21, Shaun Flynn, 26, Juan Ruiz-Gaviria, 31, Joshua Donald, 27, Everton Graham, 30, Adam King, 24, Ian Beckford, 30, and Aaron Parkins, 18, all denied murder, telling the court they were not party to any plan to harm anyone.
Goodwin, of Cranford Street, Smethwick; Ruiz-Gaviria, of Coplow Street, Ladywood, Birmingham; Donald, of Kelsall Croft, Ladywood; Beckford, of Quinton, Birmingham; and Graham, King and Flynn, all of no fixed address, all gave evidence to the trial.
They described the prosecution case as "speculation" based on CCTV footage of the deaths, which captured three cars being pelted with missiles as they passed the scene.
Beckford, of Holly Bush Grove, told the trial he was good friends with Mr Musavir, 31, and Mr Ali, 30, and had not intended to knock down, kill or seriously harm any member of the crowd.
After the defendants were cleared it emerged that the detective who led the triple murder inquiry is facing an inquiry into allegations that he lied on oath.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission said it was investigating the conduct of Detective Chief Inspector Anthony Tagg, who was found by the judge to have lied on oath after evidence was not disclosed to defence counsel until the tenth week of the three-month trial.
Defence barristers were not made aware of an offer of immunity from prosecution for eyewitnesses involved in disorder until June 29.
The IPCC statement said: "The trial judge, Mr Justice Flaux, temporarily halted the trial and questioned police officers and others on oath to establish the facts around the non-disclosure of this information.
"The judge in a statement to the court has since raised concerns about the evidence given to him by a detective chief inspector during this questioning.
"This matter was referred to the IPCC by West Midlands Police. As a result the IPCC has decided to undertake an independent investigation."