PARENTS

Two-Year-Old Boy In Hospital After Drinking Corrosive Oven Cleaner

04/09/2012 12:04 | Updated 22 May 2015
Two-year-old boy in hospital after drinking corrosive oven cleanerGetty

A two-year-old boy has been in hospital for three weeks after drinking a corrosive oven-cleaning fluid.

Callum Blackshaw swallowed several mouthfuls from a bottle of Oven Pride. The makers of the product have now recalled it to assess the safety cap mechanism on the bottles.

Callum, from Corringham, Essex, is in Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, suffering from severe internal burns and may require an oesophagus transplant.

The chief executive of McBride who make the Oven Pride brand said the company were 'extremely distressed' over what had happened, and that their 'heart goes out' to Callum and his family.

"Everyone here wishes him a full and speedy recovery," McBride's Chris Bull said.

He added: "Clearly, this is of deep concern to us and we are investigating how this happened as a matter of urgency."

Mr Bull said McBride had immediately taken action to check the safety of the bottles and had set up a customer helpline for concerned consumers to call if they had any questions.

Callum's grandmother Carina Blackshaw told her local paper that she was 'distraught' after leaving the cleaning product on a kitchen table after buying it for Callum's mum Maxine, 23.

Callum managed to open the bottle's child lock on the bottle before drinking the fluid

Carina Blackshaw, a police community support officer, said they may never discover if the bottle was faulty or if Callum had simply managed to bypass the child-safety top because 'it was taken with Callum to Basildon Hospital and then on to Great Ormond Street, but it's got lost'.

The McBride customer helpline for anyone concerned about their Oven Pride product is on 0845 605 2981.

Please keep your cleaning products safely away from children, even if they do have safety lids on.

Suggest a correction