Heroic Teenager Rescues Two-Year-Old From Smoke Filled House

01/10/2012 18:09 | Updated 22 May 2015
Heroic teenager rescues two-year-old from smoke filled houseSolent

A 16-year-old boy risked his own life to rescue a two-year-old from a smoke-filled house after a mum's cooked breakfast caught fire.

Nelson Fonangwan crawled through the kitchen window of the property in Southampton and pulled toddler Adam Jedlikoswka from the acrid fumes to safety.

The calm and collected young man then coolly made his way to college - where he is studying nursing.

Speaking to reporters, the plucky youth brushed aside the risk to his own health from smoke inhalation.

"The smoke was really thick you couldn't even breathe. I didn't think too much about it because it was frantic but I thought, 'I have to do this'," he said.

Nelson had been alerted to the fire after hearing the mother of the little boy screaming for help.

Mum-of-two Aneta, 32, had been locked out of her home when the door slammed behind her when she took rubbish out to her bins, leaving her child trapped inside, and the meat she was cooking for breakfast overheating.

The frantic woman tried to smash her way back in through her kitchen window, injuring her arm, while frightened Adam banged on it from the inside.

Aneta told her local paper that Nelson was a 'hero' and that there were not enough words to say thank you to him.

Nelson said: "When I brought her baby out, she was really relieved. Her arm was really bad but she hugged him tight."

Nelson's headteacher Alice Wright told reporters of her pride in her pupil.

"We're all so proud of Nelson for his brave actions," she said, "We know that we have fantastic young people here at Richard Taunton Sixth Form College, and Nelson has really demonstrated that this week. It's great to know that one of our students took life saving actions quickly, and helped to prevent what could have been a real tragedy."

What a brave young man!


Suggest a correction