Facebook now has a billion users.
The company's CEO Mark Zuckerberg made the announcement on his on site on Thursday morning.
The milestone comes less than nine years after the site launched in February 2004.
It is now the most visited website in the world, and has annual revenues of more than $3 billion.
Announcing the news, Zuckerberg said:
This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month.
If you're reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you.
Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.
I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too.
In a press release, Facebook said that since its launch it had also racked up:
- 1.13 trillion Likes
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- 219 billion photos shared
- 17 billion check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times that's about 210,000 years of music
- 2.45 billion content items and 2.7 billion Likes are shared every day on Facebook.
- More than 300 million photos uploaded daily.