Freddie Starr has revealed he has been prevented from being alone with his children after he was arrested as part of the investigation into the Jimmy Savile sex scandal.
The comedian is only allowed to be with his children if fiancee Sophie Lea is present, he told The Mirror. The diktat, issued by Warwickshire social services is standard procedure for someone facing the allegations Starr is.
Starr has strongly denied accusations linked to the abuse claims, which allege he tried to grope a 14-year-old schoolgirl in Savile's TV dressing room in 1974.
Freddie Starr strongly denies the allegations
He was arrested earlier this month, then bailed and returned for further questioning the day after. He has not been charged with any offence.
He said: "My life is ruined. I feel so desperate at times I want to go and end it all.
"It's heartbreaking because I'm totally innocent. It makes me feel suicidal. I don't think I can ever work again - how can I put on a comedy face after this?"
He added: "I'm not sex pest. But right now I can only have supervised contact with my kids."
Starr lives with Lea in Studley, Warwickshire, along with his six-year-old daughter from a previous marriage and Lea's son, 12.
Last week Starr claimed he was being made to feel like a criminal after he was questioned for a second time as part of the investigation into the Savile sex scandal.
The 69-year-old told the Sunday People: "The way I'm being treated I feel like I'm the new Yorkshire Ripper."
Recounting how his watch and shoelaces were confiscated to ensure he wasn't able to make a noose to kill himself, he added: "It's horrible. I'm being made to feel like a criminal. I've never ever been in trouble before and I haven't got a police record."
Starr, who has suffered four heart attacks, added: "I think if things keep on like this, it's going to kill me... or something will happen."
He was interviewed on suspicion of sexual offences and falls under the strand of the investigation classed as "Savile and others".
Starr has branded the late Jimmy Savile 'despicable' and 'disgusting'
Starr also claimed he himself had been sexually abused as a child and that the experience "ruined his life".
Last month he branded Savile "despicable" and "disgusting", and urged police to interview him so he could clear his name.
His arrest follows that of Gary Glitter by officers working on Operation Yewtree.
Former pop star Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, was questioned at a central London police station after being detained at his home in the capital.
Savile, who died last year at the age of 84, is now believed to have been one of the UK's most prolific abusers, with about 300 possible victims.
Jimmy Savile Sexually Assaulted Us: Four Women Come Forward On Eve Of Documentary (PICTURES)
Scotland Yard is leading a national investigation into the television and radio star's activities.
Detectives are following 400 lines of inquiry while the BBC has launched an inquiry into the culture and practices at the corporation in the era of Savile's alleged sexual abuse.
It is also looking at the decision-making process which saw a Newsnight investigation into Savile's activities shelved. The review, led by Nick Pollard, former head of Sky News, will report back on its findings later this month.
Savile's estate, reportedly worth £4.3m, has been frozen in response to the mounting allegations.
Comments are closed on this entry for legal reasons.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more