The editor of the Irish Daily Star newspaper has resigned in the wake of the controversial publication of topless photographs of the Duchess of Cambridge.
Michael O'Kane had been suspended from his role in September while an internal investigation was carried out into the tabloid's decision to rerun pictures of Kate and Prince William sunbathing on a private holiday in France.
Media tycoon Richard Desmond, whose Northern and Shell group co-owns the newspaper with the Irish-based Independent News and Media, had threatened to shut the Dublin operation down.
The paper published the topless photos of the Duchess in September
In a statement on Saturday, the Irish Daily Star said: "As a result of the publication on 15 September 2012, issues arose with the shareholders of Independent Star Limited.
"Having considered those issues in tandem with Mr O'Kane, it is Mr O'Kane's decision to resign as editor of the Irish Daily Star, effective immediately."
Independent News and Media said Mr O'Kane acted at all times in a highly professional and appropriate manner and in the best interests of the newspaper.
Furthermore, he followed all editorial policies and guidelines, the statement said.