About carrot cake
Carrot cake, or carroty cakes, to go by the official Ella's Kitchen name, is a tasty way to sneak veggies into a pudding. The carrot decoration on these yummy squares also gives the cakes a healthy boost.
Cook time: 30
Total time: 5
Ingredients: For the cakes
Soft, brown sugar: 175g
Self-raising flour: 200g
Bicarbonate of soda: 1 tsp
Ground cinnamon: 2 tsp
Orange: 1, grated rind
Eggs: 2, beaten
Sunflower oil: 150ml
Unsalted butter: 50g
Icing sugar: 75g
Cream cheese: 120g
Carrot shaving: Enough to decorate
- 1.Pre-heat oven to180C/350F/gas 4. Grease an 18cm/7 inch square cake tin.
- 2.Grate the carrots finely into a large mixing bowl. Sift the sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon on top of the carrot, then add the orange rind, before mixing everything together.
- 3.Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and level the top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake is cooked through. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool on a wire rack.
- 4.Meanwhile, make the topping by mixing the butter and icing sugar together, and stirring in the cream cheese.
- 5. When the cake is cool, carefully turn it out onto a board. Spread the topping evenly over the cake, and cut the cake into 16 squares. Decorate each square with a shaving of carrot.
Recipe from Ella's Kitchen - the cook book, out now.