What is it about British actors winning trophies at American awards ceremonies that makes all of us in Blighty feel slightly proud? Like we - in some way - made Adele sing unbelievably/ Damian Lewis so talented/ Dame Maggie Smith a complete legend?
There were plenty of reasons to be giddy with national pride while watching the Golden Globes 2013, but these are our favourites *hums God Save The Queen*.
1. Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz. Is there a hotter couple on the planet right now? Clearly not. He's James Bond and all brooding, seemingly on a permanent basis, while she's an outrageously good actress - who already has an Oscar - and is Botticelli-level beautiful. And because of this, we'll forgive the sunglasses.
2. Adele. 19 was a revelation, 21 spellbinding and Skyfall the most epic Bond song since Diamonds Are Forever, as the Hollywood Foreign Press Association recognised by naming it Best Original Song. But apart from all that, she's got the longest eyelashes we've ever seen and loves her mum. Brilliant.
3. Dame Maggie Smith. A) She's the Dowager Countess in Downton Abbey and so much better at ascerbic delivery than everyone else that she got a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress In A Mini Series. B) She played the Reverend Mother in Sister Acts 1 and 2.
4. Damian Lewis. Has ever the nation been so gripped by a ginger man pretending to be an American semi-terrorist? No, said the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, and then gave him the Best Actor gong for Homeland.
5. Sienna Miller. Basically, the girl who you just know had a better time at the awards and the after-parties than anyone else. Look at that smile, it's got "I'm better at doing shots than you" written all over it.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more