Film critics always talk about plot, composition and soundtrack - but what about a movie's wardrobe? Isn't aesthetic (at least) half of the pleasure? We think so, and here's our top 10 films you have to watch just for the fashion...
1. Marie Antoinette. This Sofia Coppola-directed, Kirsten Dunst-starring film got savaged - nay, obliterated! - by the critics mostly because scenes stretch on with Dunst in the title role just twirling about in couture. Forget the critics - this film is glorious and the fashion, to die for. Watch the trailer here.
2. Romeo & Juliet: Yes, Juliet's angel costume makes everyone want to just casually chuck on a pair of wings but do you know what's easier to emulate? Romeo's Hawaiian shirts. Watch the trailer here.
3. Edward Scissorhands: When Tim Burton wanted an actress to play an all-American sweetheart, who did he cast? Gothic princess Winona Ryder of course! The result? A fluffy blonde with soul who falls in love with a machine (well, you would too if said machine looked like Johnny Depp). Watch the trailer here.
4. Amelie: Have you ever wanted to dress like the French? Well, this is your joy - a whole film of Audrey Tautou kookily scooting about Paris in a wardrobe that's so cute and perfect it's practically unbearable. How would we explain it? Well, let's put it this way, it's highly plausible Zooey Deschanel based her signature style on Amelie. Watch the trailer here.
5. Cleopatra: You can't argue with this one. Elizabeth Taylor in the title role. Damn, it's good. That hair, those eyes, that jewellery - Jesus, it's almost unholy. One for girls who are still figuring out what the point in accessorising is. Watch the trailer here.
6. Mermaids. Before you say, "oh, ANOTHER Winona film", hold it right there. You shouldn't watch this film for Ryder but for Cher. Yeah, that's right, actual CHER, who plays Winona's hot mum. She's a woman who knows her way round a backcomb, a tight dress and high, high heels. Also, she's got a great kimono. Watch the trailer here.
8. Empire Records. The definitive grunge inspiration film. Liv Tyler was the coolest girl in the world during the Nineties and you'll see that when you check out her amazing outfit throughout the movie: mini-kilt (it works, okay?), fluffy cropped jumper and Dr Martens. Watch the trailer here.
9. The Royal Tenenbaums. Before Gwyneth Paltrow was kind of annoying, she was Margot Tenenbaum and Margot Tenenbaum was a legend. This is the face that launched a thousand bobs. And sent girls in their droves to charity shops on fur coat finding missions. Just divine. Watch the trailer here.
10. The Devil Wears Prada. Come on! That makeover montage is spectacular! One minute Anne Hathaway's all onion-bagel-eating and crap-jumper-wearing, the next she's wearing Chanel and like "I've got Patrick on the phone"! Joy. Watch the trailer here.
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more