Salted caramel sauce: try it on ice-cream, spread on toast, with apple pie or on top of banana cake. Or straight from the jar with a spoon. Any way, it works.
There are only four ingredients in this sauce and it really is very hard to get wrong. What is easy to do is spill the molten sugar when you aren't paying attention. I have the burned foot to prove it: thankfully I was making it in winter and the damage was minimised by thick walking socks. In barefoot summer, I might have had a trip to A & E. Please concentrate and take care when making this.
Salted Caramel Sauce
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
250g unsalted butter
250g light brown sugar
220 ml double cream
1 tsp fresh ground salt
1. Put butter and sugar in a non-stick pan and melt over a low heat until all the sugar crystals have dissolved.
2. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously, for about five minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, then stir through the cream until you have a smooth mix.
4. Add teaspoon of salt, and taste.
Add more if needed, in fairly small increments. I find I need between 1 and 1.5tsp of salt but it varies from batch to batch.
5. Transfer to clean sterile jar. Keep in fridge.
* You can used evaporated milk instead of cream which will give a longer shelf life, but may result in you needing more salt, and you will still need to keep it in the fridge.
It will firm up in the fridge so either get the jar out and bring to room temperature before you use it or dollop a spoonful or two in a mug and microwave in very short bursts until liquid.
Kelly is the mother of two absurdly photogenic little girls, wife of the beleaguered DH, master of the Wonder Hound and Mother Hen to Rosie-Sparkles, Beans, Dipper, Francesca and Mrs Nicholson. I drink a lot of coffee, wish I drank a few more cocktails, and plug the gap with too much cake.
Blogs at: Domestic Goddesque
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more