SPORT

Chelsea To Bid For Ross Barkley And Luke Shaw (Transfer Talk)

23/01/2014 08:49 GMT | Updated 23/01/2014 08:59 GMT
Clive Brunskill via Getty Images
LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 14: Ross Barkley of Everton competes with John Obi Mikel of Chelsea during the Barclays Premier League match between Everton and Chelsea at Goodison Park on September 14, 2013 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

Juan Mata will today have a medical ahead of completing his transfer to Manchester United, so it's Chelsea's turn to be linked with exciting bids for exciting players, namely Ross Barkley and Luke Shaw.

The Telegraph say the two young Englishmen are part of José Mourinho's long-term plan to restore Chelsea's status as the best team in the country. The Blues won just won title in their six years without the Portuguese, and this season is easily their best attempt since the 2010 win under Carlo Ancelotti.

Barkley, who was linked with a move to United last month, has been superb this season for Everton. The Toffees probably would have won at West Brom on Monday night had the England international been fit, and their dependence on him could be a recurring theme during his lay-off with a fractured toe.

Shaw, a Chelsea fan, would be Ashley Cole's natural successor, even though the left-back has lost his place to the right-footed Cesar Azpilicueta. Cole, Frank Lampard and John Terry are all out of contract in the summer, and it seems unlikely all three of Chelsea's "player-power" clique will be at Stamford Bridge next season.

10 Biggest Transfers Of 2013

Real Sociedad's France Under-21 winger Antoine Griezmann, 22, is also part of the thinking, add the Sun.

Internazionale's Fredy Guarin was apparently set for a move to Chelsea this month, but a swap deal with Juventus's Mirko Vucinić fell through this week, which has caught the attention of Manchester United. The Indy write Inter are thought to be interested in taking Javier Hernández in exchange.

Mourinho said last week Chelsea would not be signing Wayne Rooney this summer, and it might be more than just mere kidology.

The Mirror say the United striker wants to hold talks over a new contract, following the Mata developments this week.

Ironic how Rooney, so concerned over his role in the team he "asked away" last summer, apparently welcomes a No.10 competitor in Mata. Sir Alex Ferguson said the striker cited the club's failure to land Mesut Özil in 2010 as a reason why he wanted to leave that autumn, too.

Joleon Lescott could still leave Manchester City this month, so the MEN have linked them with Porto's France international Eliaquim Mangala, 22 and Bayern Munich defender Dante, 30, ranking high on search terms after he was on the cusp of joining Manchester United earlier this week. He wasn't.

Jackson Martínez will sign a new contract with Porto, rather than join Arsenal, say the Star.

However the Mirror say the Gunners will bid for Julian Draxler this month.

Draxler, who headline writers are hoping will bite someone so they can re-baptise him as the "Count", may not be a striker but is one of the best young players on the continent. Arsenal could bid before next Friday rather than risk competing for him in the summer.

Radamel Falcao's knee injury could scupper Everton's loan move for striker Lacina Traore, say the Express.

And elsewhere on Merseyside, Liverpool have apparently agreed a deal with Basel for Mohamed Salah.