Ellen Degeneres brought her distinctive charm to the Oscars, making her second round of hosting duties a triumph of humour, warmth and general ability to laugh at the whole thing.
In an evening she conducted with panache throughout, here were, arguably, her best bits:
At one point, Ellen was ordering in the pizzas, and handing them out
- Congratulating the Liza Minelli impersonator, until she 'realised' it was, in fact, Liza Minelli.
- Picking on Jennifer Lawrence from the beginning, cleverly leaning on J-Law's own popularity, and ability to trip up (again!) and still be laughing - until Ellen found her own rhythm.
- The neat little gag about people missing their mark - all delivered while half-way out of shot, and then walking back in.
- Wandering around the auditorium, greeting A-listers like old friends, which most of them are.
- This casual approach culminating in ordering in a pizza, and handing it out, albeit only to the proper royal rows. You could tell Brad Pitt is a father of six, the way he commandeered the plates and was handing them out to the likes of Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep, and a keen-to-be-in-on-it Kevin Spacey who kept popping up from a few rows further back.
- Running on in another costume change - this time crown, wings, wand, etc - in time for the 'Wizard of Oz' celebration. Proper old school, but still got a laugh.
- THAT selfie - no words, and even the discovery that it was some stunningly-contrived stunt by Samsung didn't destroy the power of the moment, when A-listers turned into just another bunch of F'book tweenies.
A kiss from Bradley Cooper seals a cracking night for Ellen
- Oscars 2014: Red Carpet Pictures
- Oscars 2014: Best And Worst Dressed Red Carpet Stars
- Oscars 2014: Winners List And All The Nominees
- Oscars 2014: Most Cringeworthy Acceptance Speeches Ever
- Oscars 2014: Worst Dressed Red Carpet Stars Ever
- Oscars 2014: The Academy Awards' Most Memorable Moments Ever
- Oscars 2014: The Academy Awards By Numbers