UK

Rotting Rat Carcass Closes Cu Tu Vietnamese Restaurant On Kingsland Road, London

30/04/2014 14:08 BST | Updated 30/04/2014 14:59 BST

A Vietnamese restaurant in London has been closed after the rotting carcass of a mouse was found under a cooker.

Droppings and gnawed food packaging also littered the establishment, reports the Hackney Gazette.

A Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order was issued on Tuesday closing Cu Tu on Kingsland Road with immediate effect.

rat

Not on the menu

Gifty Edila, corporate director for legal, HR and regulatory services at the council, said: "This is a serious breach of hygiene standards that puts any Hackney resident eating there at risk.

"Hackney’s environmental health officers make regular spot checks and when they find evidence like this they will take immediate action to protect the public.

"Hackney Council will now work with the business to ensure to ensure standards of cleanliness and hygiene are met before it can open its doors again."

T & H Restaurant Ltd, who own Cu Tu, have been ordered to pay Hackney Council £620.

The owners will have to work with the council until they deem the hygiene risk removed and they can reopen.

Manager, Leo Nguyen, said: "Those are the facts, we can’t hide it, but I want the best for the customer, I do agree with the council - it’s unlucky to be shut down but we agree we need to be shut down to sort the problem out.

"We are now blocking all the holes and fixing the problem, we are closing to refurbish the whole thing."