PARENTS

Finger Lickin' HAND WIPE! Boy Finds Kitchen Roll In KFC Chicken

27/06/2014 13:52 | Updated 20 May 2015

Finger lickin' HAND WIPE! Mum's horror at blue towel in KFC chickenSWNS

Seven-year-old Oliver Hallam was looking forward to some finger lickin' chicken when his stepmum bought him a meal from KFC.

But when he bit into the bird he got a mouthful of deep fried HAND WIPE.

Krystal Henderson, 29, bought the meal for her and Oliver as a treat. Krystal, from Gosforth, Newcastle, said: "I thought the actual chicken had gone off. All it was inside was deep fried blue roll.

"Realising it was blue roll was worse than chicken. If it was bad chicken they might have just had a bad batch or something, but the blue roll could have been used for anything - it could have bleach or disinfectant on it.

"I didn't know where the blue roll had been because it was screwed up. Had someone wiped their hands on it, had it been used to wipe the floor?

"To give that to a child, I felt so guilty even though it wasn't my fault. For a child to bite into that is horrendous.

"When he bit into it, it was rock hard. He pulled it out of his mouth and when he did, it pulled away the batter - you could see the blue roll inside."

The mother-of-two bought the meal from the Killingworth branch of KFC on Tyne and Wear as a takeaway to eat at home.

After realising what it was inside, Krystal returned to the restaurant but was simply told to call customer support.

Finger lickin' HAND WIPE! Mum's horror at blue towel in KFC chicken

SWNS

She said: "I was traumatised by it - I was really upset. I went back into the store crying and they said I had to call customer service.

"I had to keep ringing them and keep following it up. It felt like I had to do all the work when it was their mistake."

Following an investigation, KFC apologised to Krystal and offered her a free meal. A letter to Krystal read: "The blue tissue has most likely originated from a tissue roll used for KFC hygiene purposes.

"The store assume it must have fallen unseen into the breading lug that is under the sieve and was not noticed by the cook."

A spokesperson for the franchise that operates KFC in Killingworth said: "We're very sorry for Ms Henderson's experience and apologised to her immediately, as well as giving her a refund at the time of the incident.

"We take food quality and hygiene very seriously and unfortunately, on this extremely rare occasion, our restaurant failed to meet the high standards that both we and our customers expect."

Suggest a correction