ENTERTAINMENT

Tulisa Contostavlos Drugs Trial: Jury Reminded Of The Former ‘X Factor' Judge's Fame

15/07/2014 17:05 BST | Updated 15/07/2014 17:59 BST

Tulisa Contostavlos's trial for being concerned with the supply of class A got underway on Tuesday, 15 July, as the jury were sworn in at Southwark Crown Court.

The former N-Dubz star is alleged to have helped arranged the sale of 13.9g of cocaine to an undercover reporter for The Sun on Sunday.

tulisa contostavlos

Tulisa arriving at Southwark Crown Court

A jury of three women and nine men were today sworn in and it is expected that it will take two weeks for them to hear the case.

Before they were selected the jurors were asked whether they had any connections to The Sun, The Sun On Sunday, The Sunday Times or any UK news enterprise.

Judge Alistair McCreath warned the jury not to discuss the case with anyone, telling them: "As you may have worked out by now, the defendant is somebody in the public eye.”

"She was a professional singer and she had been a judge on the ‘X Factor’,” he said. “She is somebody who is famous. The upshot of that is that if you do mention this case to anybody they are bound to say something about what they think."

The jury were then sent home ready to return at 10am on Thursday, 16 July when prosecutor Tim Cray will open the case.

On Monday, Tulisa’s co-defendant, the rapper Mike GLC Coombs, pleaded guilty to his charge of supplying drugs.

Mike was allowed to leave the court on bail and will be sentenced when Tulisa’s trial is over.

Tulisa attended a preliminary hearing in April, following her arrest in July 2013 and an initial hearing in December 2013.

ndubz

Tulisa found fame as part of the rap trio N-Dubz

In December, the singer's lawyer Ben Rose gave a statement, explaining that his client would plead not guilty. According to The Mirror, he said: "Tulisa has been charged with a serious criminal offence to which she will plead not guilty.

"As has been widely reported, this entire case has been manufactured by the Sun on Sunday and Mazher Mahmood, sometimes known as the fake sheikh.

"They spent a large amount of their readers' money in flying Tulisa and a number of her friends first class to Las Vegas."

A spokesman for The Sun has said: "The Sun on Sunday's investigation into Tulisa Contostavlos was entirely justified in the public interest. It was undertaken by Mazher Mahmood, our award-winning journalist.

"Throughout our investigation, our team followed the Press Complaints Commission Code and then handed over our dossier of evidence to the police.

"Following the police investigation, prosecutors have decided that there is a clear case to answer. It is right that this matter should go to court and be decided by a jury."

Tulisa Contostavlos

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW US ON TWITTER