UK

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 Passenger Published Video On Board Doomed Jet Before Take Off

18/07/2014 09:52 BST | Updated 18/07/2014 15:59 BST

Footage reportedly filmed by a passenger on board Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 moments before take-off has emerged.

The 14-second clip was uploaded to an Instagram account belonging to Malaysian passenger Md Ali Md Salim, the Star reports.

It shows passengers placing bags in overhead lockers and preparing for take off.

mh17

Salim’s caption to the clip is: “Bismillah… #hatiadasikitgentar (In the name of God... feeling a little bit nervous)”.

The 30-year-old was one of 298 people on board the Boeing 777-200, which was shot down over Ukraine close to the Russian border on Thursday afternoon.

Victims of Air Malaysia Flight MH17 in Ukraine

Salim’s elder brother Md Zaki Md Salim said his sibling had been flying home for the holidays after preparing his PhD on Psychology at a university at Amsterdam.

He told Astro Awani he had chatted to his sibling a week earlier on Facebook and that he said he had been planning to buy shoes and trousers for every member of his family.

SEE ALSO:

He said: “He even managed to ask for our sizes for the items to be purchased.”

The plane was shot down by a ground-to-air missile. It is not yet known who fired the weapon however the Ukrainian government has blamed pro-Russian separatists, while the rebels blame the fledgling government in Kiev.

Victims of Air Malaysia Flight MH17 in Ukraine

The disappearance of the airliner from the radar screens as it flew over eastern Ukraine prompted immediate allegations and counter-allegations, with the government in Kiev and the separatist rebels blaming each other.

The rebels insisted that they did not have the equipment capable of bringing down an aircraft which was flying at such high altitude at more than 30,000 feet.

However Ukraine's security services produced what they said were two intercepted telephone conversations that they said showed rebels were responsible. In the first call, the security services said, rebel commander Igor Bezler told a Russian military intelligence officer that rebel forces shot down a plane yesterday.