It's that time of year again - the Video Music Awards are upon us! Why should you care? Well, because if nothing else, the VMAs are it's a lesson in pop culture, social standings and, er, questionable fashion.
Here's a couple of things you can learn from the VMAs gone by...
1. Weird Al Yankovic used to be called just be called Al Yankovic but he's always been weird, here's a pic from the VMAs 1987 to prove it...
2. Cyndi Lauper and Rod Stewart proved hairstyles are a unisex thing in 1988
3. Tribal print is always a winner. Just ask Queen Latifah circa 1989
4. Sarah Jessica Parker hasn't always been the queen of fashion, perhaps her judgement was skewed by a slightly shady-looking, pre-Iron Man Robert Downey Jr in 1990
5. Moon man penis jokes weren't even funny in 1990 Billy Idol *sighs*.
6. A lollipop is the perfect accessory. Prince told us so in 1991.
7. Metallics are best worn in shawls form as demonstrated by Mariah Carey 1991. And in no way will you look like you're wearing a foil blanket to stop you coming down with pneumonia...
8. Tassels weren't a good look the second time round (first time being the Sixties). Even Halle Berry couldn't pull them off in 1993...
9. Babies totes belong on the red carpet (PS this baby is 21-year-old now)
10. Smart/casual dress codes are hard to style out. See Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler in 1994.
11. If you want to make a bold statement, let your t-shirt do the talking like 1995 Janet Jackson.
12. Being in with the wrong crowd was a good look for Drew Barrymore in 1995
13. Jenny McArthy was doing this face way before Cara Delevingne.
14. Sometimes it's okay to be lost for words. It happened a lot in 1997.
15. Britney was once the queen of life itself. The year was 1999 and things were simpler back then...
16. Some things just aren't meant to be. Like Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey. Even what's his face from NSync knew it back in 2000.
17. Some collaborations just work.
18. The whole "Xtina" phase in was not a good one. She wanted to look "duuuuurty" she just looked, er, dirty.
19. The VMAs started to go down hill when Paris and Nicky Hilton were on the guest list in 2003.
20. One hit VMAs performance doesn't always mean wonderful career. Just ask Chingy. We haven't seen him since 2005...
21. Miming and dancing raunchily is difficult (but we still love you Britney!)