Tracey Connelly, the woman who allowed her baby son Peter to be tortured to death, could walk free from prison within days after serving just six years of her 'indefinite' sentence.
Connelly, 32, who allowed her infant son Peter to be tortured to death by her boyfriend, may be set free this week as experts believe she poses 'no danger to the public'.
Connelly is said to have ballooned to 22 stone whilst behind bars, and looks different from the widely-used Metropolitan Police mugshot of her (above).
A parole board panel is considering fresh evidence after her parole hearing was adjourned in July for further reports.
It is believed likely that she will be released from Low Newton jail near Durham, possibly on the same day the parole board meet.
She will be given a new identity and is already having special training to equip her for life outside prison, which will include tips on how she can can conceal her background and true identity.
She has reportedly told acquaintances that she wants to find a partner and have a relationship once she leaves prison, though it is claimed that should she became pregnant, a probation panel would consider putting the baby into care.
She was branded 'manipulative, self-centred and calculating' during her trial in the Old Bailey.
Assessments by psychologists and probation officers now suggest that she poses no threat to public safety. It is understood that she has shown remorse for her horrific crimes, which is crucial to her plea for freedom.
Connelly was jailed indefinitely in 2009 after she admitted doing nothing while her little boy was tortured to death by her boyfriend Steven Barker and his paedophile brother Jason Owen. She has served two years on remand and four years in prison.
Peter was just 17 months old when he was found dead in his blood-spattered cot at his mother's north London flat, after suffering 50 injuries before he died on August 3 2007, including a broken back.
With her time on remand following her arrest in 2007, Connelly has served longer than the five year minimum tariff handed down at the Old Bailey by judge Stephen Kramer QC, which means she could apply to the Parole Board.
Jason Owen was freed on licence in 2011 after serving half his six-year sentence for causing or allowing Peter Connelly to die.
But the 41-year-old was returned to prison in April this year after being caught in an area from which he had been banned under the conditions of his parole.
Barker was given an indefinite sentence with a tariff of 10 years after being convicted of causing or allowing Peter's death.
The case provoked a national scandal after it emerged that social workers, police and doctors missed a series of warning signs that could have saved the child's life.
Social workers considered his care to be 'a routine, low-risk case'.
Connelly has served four years in prison, and two on remand. Her mum Mary O'Connor has said her daughter should never be released.
She said: "She should never come out but if she does, I won't be seeing her again - she is out of my life."
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more