Boots has recalled several batches of cold and cough medicines for small children after it identified a possible fault during manufacturing.
The retail giant stressed that there was no evidence of anyone coming to harm but issued a precautionary recall asking patients to return some medicines purchased since September 2013.
But it has now extended the scope of the original recall to include further batches, and is asking people to return all batches of specific paracetamol, gripe mixture and cough and cold medicines.
The recall comes after a possible fault was identified in the manufacturing process of the tamper seals which could result in small pieces of plastic getting into the liquid medicines.
There is no evidence of people suffering problems as a result of the fault, Boots has said.
Adam Burgess, head of the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency's (MHRA) Defective Medicines Reporting Centre, said the move was precautionary.
He said: "This is a precautionary recall by Boots and there is a low risk of plastic being found in bottles.
"There is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
"People should check their medicine cupboards at home and return these products to Boots."
Boots is offering customers a refund if they return the medicines.
A statement from Boots said: "In November 2013, we discovered a potential manufacturing fault with the tamper seal on some Boots Pharmaceuticals liquid medicines, which might result in small pieces of plastic being found in the medicine.
"Following further in-depth investigations, we have found that this issue may have affected other products produced on the individual production line so we have taken the precautionary action of asking customers to return several other items.
"Whilst we're still not currently aware of any customer incidences, nor have we found any in our customer care database, we have taken the decision to ask customers to return these products to our stores for a full refund.
"We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and would like to offer our reassurances that these actions are taken as a precaution only."
The affected medicines include:
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Chesty Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Dry Cough Relief Oral Solution, PL 00014/0550
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Mucus Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 years Plus 250mg/5ml Oral Solution 200ml, PL 00014/0619
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 Years Plus 250mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0619
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Ibuprofen 3 Months plus 100mg/5ml Oral suspension Strawberry flavour, PL 00014/0652
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Tickly Cough Relief Oral Solution PL 00014/0550
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0638
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 200ml PL 00014/0660
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Cough Syrup 3 Months Plus PL 00014/0500
• Boots Pharmaceuticals Gripe Mixture 1 Month Plus PL 00014/5236
• Anyone with questions can contact their local Boots store or the Boots customer care on 0800 915 0004.
More:Advice And Health
Suggested For You
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements. Learn more