PARENTS

Boy Who Lost His Feet As A Baby To Meningitis Awarded £1.95m Damages

14/08/2014 16:48 | Updated 22 May 2015
Meningitis boy who lost his feet as a baby awarded £1.95m damages

A 13-year-old boy has been awarded £1.95 million after losing his feet as a baby when a doctor missed early signs of meningitis.

Diane Fenlon, now 50, from Sidcup, Kent, had taken her one-year-old son, BJ Applegate, to the GP in 2000 with a severe fever but was sent home with a prescription for penicillin.

Only hours later she noticed purple spots on her son's skin - a key symptom of the deadly infection - and rushed him back to the doctor.

BJ - short for Brian James - was diagnosed with meningococcal septicaemia, a meningitis-related blood infection, and his feet became gangrenous.

To save his life, surgeons had to amputate his right leg at the knee and his left at the ankle, along with parts of his fingers. This week, High Court judge Mrs Justice Davies awarded the lump sum in damages.

She said: "It is important that a level of care is put in place that allows him to maximise his life."

Diane told the Evening Standard: "It costs a tremendous amount of money to maintain a decent quality of life. I battled for years to get a stairlift in his primary school. As he gets older he may require kidney dialysis because his organs were damaged. The money will never be enough for what we have been through.

BJ, who wants to be a sports commentator when he grows up, has prosthetic legs and plays for Kent FA Junior Disability league, which feeds players to national level. BJ said: "It's good to know I am going to be okay. I'm really happy we won the money."

More:

Teenagers
Suggest a correction