PARENTS

Dad Thrown Across Room By IPad Charger Electric Shock

14/08/2014 16:53 | Updated 22 May 2015

Apple iPad charger shock threw dad across room

A dad suffered a huge electronic shock when his daughter's iPad charger exploded in his hand.

Tim Gillooley was flung across the room of his mother's house as he unplugged the device – but is furious that it could have been his eight-year-old daughter who was injured.

The 34-year-old suffered burns to his hands after his daughter Chloe asked him to disconnect the tablet computer for her.

Mr Gillooley, from Warrington, says he bought the iPad from the Apple Store in Liverpool for Chloe's birthday last November, but that he had previously returned it because it was having problems charging.

He said he was left 'in shock' after the 'huge bang' sent him flying across the room.

"I was hysterically laughing for about two minutes. It was a bad shock that went down my arm. My mum was panicking and Chloe burst into tears," he told the Mirror. "Nine times out of 10, Chloe would have gone to get it herself. I think it would have killed her."

He said the Apple Store had previously told him there was nothing wrong with the charger or the device, and so the family had bought a new charger and lightening cable, but it had failed to rectify the issue.

"We were big fans of Apple but I won't let my daughter near her iPhone if it's a ticking time bomb," Mr Gillooley said.

The Mirror say that Apple were unavailable for comment, but that they had asked Mr Gillooley for the remains of the charger.

More:

Dads
Suggest a correction