Two drug addict parents whose toddler died in their bed after swallowing heroin have been jailed for a total of 10 years.
Daniel Jones, who was 23 months old, had been taken off a child-in-need plan two weeks before his death because social workers were satisfied with his care.
Wolverhampton Crown Court heard the little boy slept in his parents' bed, where heroin paraphernalia was found. Thirty cannabis plants were also found growing in the loft.
Tests showed Daniel had died from heroin poisoning, caused by an overdose.
His dad, Simon Jones, 30, was jailed for six years after previously admitting the manslaughter of Daniel.
And mum, Emma Bradburn, 34, was jailed for four years after she admitted allowing his death on May 29 last year.
Jones fully accepted he was responsible for Daniel ingesting a tiny – yet lethal – amount of heroin.
Neighbours said the long-term heroin addicts had moved to their £200,000 three-bedroom home in Penn, Wolverhampton, after Bradburn received compensation following a car accident several years ago.
Police branded Daniel's death as a betrayal of trust. Detective Inspector John Smith, from Wolverhampton Public Protection Unit, said: "This was a truly tragic case, where a young boy has had his life so needlessly cut short, having been exposed to illegal and dangerous substances.
"These people should have been caring for Daniel and ensuring his welfare but, sadly, their actions and lifestyle have led to his death.
"Daniel was a fit and healthy little boy and it is tragic that he will not reach adulthood."
Sentencing the couple, Mrs Justice Thirlwall said: "It is one thing to risk your own health but quite another entirely to risk your son's."
But the National Association for People Abused in Childhood said: "It is a very lenient sentence for both defendants.
"They could be out in a matter of months. This sentence will send out the wrong message to parents and carers."
Alan Coe, Chair of the Wolverhampton Safeguarding Children Board said: "On behalf of the Wolverhampton Safeguarding Children Board, I would like to express my deep sorrow and sadness at the death of Daniel, a shocking event for his family, neighbours and indeed the city as a whole."
"Once we have that report, we will be in a better positing to ascertain whether there are any action the professional agencies need to take either individually or collectively to improve the way we identify potential risks to children and take action to address them."
Suggested For You
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more