Heart shaped chocolate cake, by Masterchef winner Mat Follas,
Show a loved one how much they mean to you by baking them this decadent chocolate cake on Valentine's Day.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
100g caster sugar
4 medium happy eggs
80g self raising flour
30g cocoa powder
For the icing:
50g 72% cooking chocolate
20g cocoa powder
250g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas Mark 4. Mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Mix the happy eggs together in a separate bowl, then slowly add to the butter mixture.
Top tip: if the mixture starts to curdle, add a tbsp of flour.
2. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder until it has an even consistency
Top tip: if the mixture won't drop off the spoon, it's too thick, so add a little warm water.
3. Pour the mixture into a heart shaped baking tin. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
4. To test whether the cake is cooked, probe it in the middle with a skewer, if the skewer comes out clean, it's cooked. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
5. For the icing: Melt the butter and chocolate together over a low heat. Add the cocoa powder, then mix in the icing sugar with a fork, adding warm water until it has a thick consistency. Wait until the cake is cool before icing it.
Recipe courtesy of: The happy egg co.Heart-shaped cake tins are stocked in Tesco, Ikea and Amazon.