We've all been there in. Your friend is dating a man. He's a man you cannot stand. You hope things will fizzle out - how could they possibly continue when said man is so hideous? And then the unthinkable happens - they get engaged. DOOM. He is now in your life forever(ish).
Don't stop taking her calls and go all cold - that's not the way to deal with your pal marrying a moron. These five things will get you through it, friendship in tact...
1. Remember it's not about you. Yes, this may have an impact on your friendship - essentially because you don't want to hang out with the idiot - but at the end of the day, she's delighted. You must rally. Take her out for prosecco. Buy her a copy of Brides. You might not agree with her choice, but you're still a good friend.
2. Don't tell her he's a moron. The hardest thing. There is nothing tougher than biting your tongue every time the words "you're too good for him!" threaten to escape. But hold it, you must. Revelations like can't be thrust upon a person - annoyingly they have to be realised independently by the woman in question, unless...
a) he's given her an STD.
b) he's in any way abusive.
c) he reminds you - even in a vague sense - of Spencer Pratt.
3. Try to get to know him better. I know, I know, it's a nasty prospect but you might find there's common ground somewhere. On a very drunk night out, I discovered a friend's boyfriend I was highly suspicious of had a huge appreciation of Queen Latifah, just like me. It's been all gravy ever since.
4. Accept you'll never love your friend's husband. The alternative to point three. How often will you have to see him, realistically? Just because you're best pals with his missus, doesn't mean you have to have the same relationship as him.
5. Be there if everything does, as you hope, fall apart. And don't say I told you so. Upon realising she nearly married a moron, that's the last thing a girl needs.
10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My Wedding