On a recent trip to Paris I was invited to a party to celebrate the arrival of US brand Shinola in the capital. Fashion parties in London are one thing, but in Paris? The question of "what should I wear?" becomes a much bigger deal.
How wrong I was. As soon as a group of Parisian cool kids walked in, I felt the urge to swap my heels for flats and find something with a cut-out.
2. Once you've ditched the heels, you can be more daring with your outfit. A backless, skintight jumpsuit doesn't look so try-hard when teamed with trainers.
3. A leather biker jacket is a staple. Taking it off is a sign that you're ready to party. Properly.
4. Hair should be worn down and kept fuss-free. It adds to the effortless thing and can fly around in a nonchalant sort of way when dancing.
5. Makeup isn't essential but colour-popping lipstick is French girl for "I'm making a statement".
6. As for the guys? French men still love skinny jeans. And now they're rolling them up to ankle length, to show off their shiny Autumn/Winter boots.
Want some French fashion inspiration? Here's a few of France's coolest girls: